Vai ai contenuti
Lingua:
Italiano
English
Effettua il LOGIN al sito

 

Iscriviti alla newsletter della SGI per essere sempre aggiornato sulle ultime novità

Iscriviti qui >>

 

The Society

The Geological Society of Italy (Società Geologica Italiana-SGI) was founded in Bologna the 29th of September 1881. It is the most representative scientific association of geosciences in Italy, and it is one of the oldest in the world.

The aim of SGI is the advancement, promotion and dissemination of the geological knowledge and its related theoretical and applied aspects.

The Geological Society of Italy has the oldest library of Earth Sciences in the country, having about 30,000 volumes of journals, monographs, conference proceedings, national and international geological maps. The main part of the library is accessible from the Documentation Center for Geotechnology of the University of Siena (Tuscany), whereas the historical collection is placed in the library of the Earth Sciences Department of the Sapienza University in Rome, where is located the head office of the society.

Since 1882, the Geological Society of Italy publishes the Bollettino della Società Geologica Italiana (Bulletin of the Geological Society of Italy) in annual volumes split into four-monthly issues. Since 2006, the Bulletin is included in the Journal Citation Reports (JCR) of Thomson Reuters. In 2010 the journal merged with the Bulletin of the Geological Survey of Italy as the Italian Journal of Geosciences.

The Geological Society of Italy publishes also the following journals:

  • - Geological Field Trips (a brand new journal aiming to collect and share field-trip guides which usually remained confined only to participants to meetings)
  • - Rendiconti SGI Online
  • - Italian Regional Geological Guides
  • - Special volumes, SGI Memoirs, Quaderni

From 1882 to 1954 one the main activities of the society was the organization of annual field-trips throughout the whole national territory, the "Summer Meeting". These excursions were followed by meetings during which the participants discussed the topics observed in the field.

Since 1954, the meeting became biennial and assumed the role of the National Congress of the Geological Society of Italy, which is still migrating from one region to another.

© Società Geologica Italiana Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra, Università «La Sapienza», Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Roma • Tel.: 06 4959390 • Fax: 06 49914154 • Mail: info@socgeol.it  C.F.80258790585